Library Services at Home
Suffolk Public Library offers many free services available in the comfort of your own home. The following resources may be especially relevant during the COVID-19 situation or offer temporary additional features during this time. Learn more about:
- Ancestry Library Edition: You now have free access to Ancestry Library Edition from home! Contact library staff for username and password information and then click here, click on the yellow/green EXISTING ACCOUNT button, and then enter username/password information.
- Audible: Hundreds of titles available completely free. The collection has been handpicked by Audible’s editors and is a mix of stories to entertain, engage, and inform young people, ages 0–18. There are selections for our listeners in English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese and Italian.
- Early Learning: World Book Online’s early childhood digital resource, it is a child’s first encyclopedia, eBook, and introduction to core early concepts. What you need: Library card number
- Gale In Context Elementary: Provides authoritative, curriculum-aligned, age-appropriate digital content that covers a broad range of educational topics. No library card needed.
- Hoopla: One of the library’s eBook partners that also offers access to audiobooks, comics and streaming music, movies and TV shows. Check out Hoopla’s Bonus Borrows collections to access free content without using your monthly borrows. Find Bonus Borrows collections listed in the categories or genres sections online or through the app. (Customers are now able to check out 6 items per month rather than 4!) What you need: Library card number and PIN
- Ready Reads: While the library is closed, Ready Reads is going digital! Sign up for this monthly subscription service and you’ll receive a list of digital titles available on Hoopla and TumbleBooks. This includes both ebooks and eaudiobooks. Once we reopen, you can opt for physical books only or a combination of physical and digital if you prefer.
- Universal Class: Self-paced online learning with over 500 online classes available in a wide variety of topics with the option of earning continuing education units (CEUs) with a certificate. What you need: Library card number
- Virtual Classes & Events: Visit our YouTube channel for access to virtual classes and events, and check back frequently for new content.
Visit our Facebook page for more additional updates and announcements.