Winter Reading Challenge
Suffolk Reads: The Three-Peat
Let's show how much Suffolk reads inside and outside of the library by reading together and building our community through books!
From January 1st to January 31st, Suffolk Public Library will participate in Beanstack’s Third Annual Winter Reading Challenge. There are also prize incentives to read and log your reading.
Register or log in to Beanstack to participate and track books read. Paper logs will be available at each SPL location for those who do not wish to log electronically.
We're upping our goal this year! This year, we're challenging our community to read 9,000 books during the month of January for a chance to win new books and an author visit from Penguin Random House.
Participants who read and log books:
- Will be entered to win a raffle prize!
- There will be three winners, one from each age group: 0-7, 8-17, 18+.
- One entry per book read.
- Winners will select their prize from a list of items and experiences.
- About the prizes (prizes range in value up to approximately $180):
Participants who complete the Diverse Books Challenge in Beanstack:
- Will be entered to win a shopping spree at the Friends of the Suffolk Public Library bookstore.
Participants who bring in non-perishable food items during January 2020 to help stock Suffolk Christian Fellowship’s Food Pantry will earn a digital badge and a button.
We're going for the three-peat! Suffolk Public LIbrary was one of the top-participating libraries the past two years and we want to hold on to our title for a chance at the prize jackpot. Penguin Random House is donating $50,000 worth of prizes to be split among winning libraries and schools to include new books and an author visit.
Help us win by:
- Registering for the Winter Reading Challenge on Beanstack.
- Encouraging your family and friends to register (they do not need a Suffolk Public Library card but would need to be able to pick up their prize from an SPL location if they win).
- Continue logging books, audiobooks and magazines throughout the month of January (Remember, if you read with your child you can log the book twice - once for you and once for them).
- Sharing your participation publicly on social media using #WinterRead2020 and #SuffolkPublicLibrary and by tagging Zoobean and Penguin Random House in your posts. (Tip: Make sure your post is able to be viewed publicly.)
Register to participate in Suffolk Reads here. Only books logged from January 1 through January 31, 2019 will count towards the competition goal. Paper logs will be available at each SPL location for those who do not wish to log electronically.
Elementary School Participation
Teachers can create group accounts for their class in Beanstack or keep track of reading on the print log and return it to the library by February 3, 2020.
The Suffolk class with the greatest number of books read and logged will receive:
- A Pizza Party with a VIP appearance by Suffolk Public Library’s Winter Reading penguin mascot.
- A set of Magnatiles.
Questions? Contact April Watkins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-514-7324.
Penguin Appreciation Storytime
Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 10:30 AM - 12:00PM
North Suffolk Library
Enjoy a penguin storytime, crafts, and a special visit from our Winter Reading Penguin mascot! Help us hit our Winter Reading goal by reading to the penguin yourself. Kids of all ages and their families can drop in at any time between 10:30 AM and noon. The storytime will begin at 10:30 AM.
Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Morgan Memorial Library & North Suffolk Library
Team Penguin is looking for a three-peat and we need your help crushing our goal! Help push Suffolk into the end zone for winter reading at our family friendly tailgate party. Sports-themed crafts and activities will be on deck. Read as many books as you can and we'll put each one on our scoreboard. No book too small; no challenge too great.