Free Skool: Everyone can learn. Everyone can lead.
Do you have a skill you would like to share with others this summer? Suffolk Public Library is starting a community education program called Free Skool and we need your help! Through Free Skool, SPL will offer free classes, projects, and events in an informal environment that encourages learning and exploration. Free Skool classes are presented by community members of all ages and abilities, not teachers. In Suffolk, we are fortunate to have a community of talented and skilled individuals. Our goal is to connect these individuals with others interested in developing their abilities.
In the Free Skool model, classes are proposed, designed, and executed by members of the community. Free Skool participants might find themselves attending a program one week and leading one the next. Because community members are facilitating the programs, the topics are reflective of community interests. Class listings for other Free Skool programs include film making, loan basics, baking bread, mushroom hunting, and an introduction to permaculture. Chances are that if you invest the effort into developing a skill there will be others who would like to learn it as well.
Free Skool will run all summer long with events nearly every week. Sessions will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:30pm to 7:30pm alternating between library locations. In addition to regularly scheduled Free Skool nights, we will host a Saturday Free Skool Fair at both Morgan Memorial and North Suffolk locations. All dates are listed below.
- Thursday, June 22 at North Suffolk, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Thursday, June 29 at Morgan Memorial, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Saturday, July 8, Fair at North Suffolk, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Thursday, July 13 at Morgan Memorial, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Thursday, July 20 at Chuckatuck, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Thursday, July 27 at Morgan Memorial, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Thursday, August 3 at North Suffolk, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
- Saturday, August 12, Fair at Morgan Memorial, 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Thursday, August 17 at North Suffolk, 6:30pm - 7:30pm
If you are interested in leading a class, please complete the Free Skool Interest Form here.